Promote and grow your small business ... build a website?
If you're an established local business with a good reputation you may well think that you don't need a website and in fact almost 60% of the smallest businesses still don't.
However, a recent survey (well June/July last year) by GoDaddy found the following results:
- 48% of very small businesses who plan to create a website expect their business to grow by 25% or more within the next 2-5 years.
- Of those who already had a website, 59% say their business grew once they had built their website.
- 33% of small business owners who already have a website feel they have a competitive advantage over those without.
I could go on, but it's looking quite convincing. If you want to read the whole survey you can find it here.
While just over a third of those surveyed felt that their business was simply too small to warrant a website, one in five were put off creating a website because of:
- lack of time,
- lack of technical expertise and
- perceived cost implications.
Put those to one side for a moment and think about some of the advantages of building a website to promote your small business.
A well designed website is your shop window ...
and it provides your customers with a point of reference to regularly check your services as well as giving you credibility that you're business is established and you are prepared to invest in it's future and therefore that of your customers.
Still need convincing? Here are a few more reasons to invest a little bit of time and money in a website:
- You can bypass the need for printing and distributing brochures and flyers. It will all be in one place ... digitally. It won't get lost and your customers can go back to it for reference repeatedly.
- Billions of people use the internet daily and for many a Google search is the first thing they do when looking for goods and services ... even locally.
- Your website is visible to your customers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week without you having to be there.
- You can very easily keep your customers abreast of developments within your business.
- You can address some of your customers common queries about your business with an FAQ section ... here's ours.
- You can have a professional email address ... your name at your website's domain name.
To put it simply a website is a must have if you're serious about your small business and you want to convey that message to your potential customers.
Don't be put off by the time and money argument. There are some good free solutions out there, which quite possibly will require a big time investment since you're quite likely an expert in your field, not building websites. But equally, there are some good web developers who can take over the whole project for you and we will even do that on a budget pay monthly plan.
If you'd like to find out how why not get in touch for an initial chat by call 01494 537612.